Thursday, March 17, 2011

After some consideration, I've decided to self-publish my first novel.

I expect it to be available within the next 3-4 months. I'll be using smashwords.com, an ebook publishing site. This thing will be available in every possible ebook format--Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Nook, etc. etc. No plans for a printed edition yet, but one never knows.

Haven't written the full press-release-rah-rah-sis-boom-bah-you-are-instantly-fascinated summary yet. I will say that it's titled The Dulcet Constellation, and it's what I'd call Gothic fantasy--think Jane Eyre mixed with Titus Groan. 


After writing a couple of (mercifully unpublished) novels of hardcore, gory horror, I wanted to try something atmospheric and character-driven. I've always had a soft spot for Gothics, which to me are basically about isolated, unbalanced people, cooped up in strange houses and with nothing better to do than make each other miserable. (Of course there's more to them than that, but it's inarguably a constant theme.)

The occult looms large in the story. And it's narrated in the first person by a woman, which was kind of a calculated risk. Curious to see what feminists will think of that one.

Expect magick, mayhem, evil, psychosexual angst, talking animals, strange artwork, lightning, diamonds, pink robes, red hair, one-eyed brothers, rosebushes, house fires, muskets, black horses, and the massive consumption of white chocolate liqueur.

Check back for details as they emerge...

No comments:

Post a Comment