The best way to get good ideas is to have a lot of ideas.
I keep notebooks. Writing everything down--good bad or indifferent--is the best way to sift decent story ideas from the garbage. And boy howdy, is there a lot of garbage.
In the spirit of generous sharing, here are some horrible ideas culled from a decade's worth of notes. For historical accuracy I've retained all bad punctuation, unnecessary caps, unclear syntax, etc.
- Ferret in walls--albino and urine-stinking--grows to size of puppy and humps people in the night
- Pen that attaches to your TEETH. Write with your TEETH.
- Very smart pigs get their revenge on the monotheisms
- This one guy's spit doesn't foam anymore. Then his spittle turns blue, then purple, then red.
- The number seven-thousand can no longer be used for any reason. Becomes as unlucky as the number thirteen. WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS DICTUM?
- Pinky finger fused into palm--palm tree?
- "My legs have turned into beards!" says awesomely stupid man
- Jellyfish vs. teddy bears....Jellyfish use brooms 4 weapons...they only fear peanut butter and bread
- Monster's head looks like a small tomato wearing sunglasses
- "Pharoah's Marrow vs. Clarence Darrow"
- Kid inadvertently kills a 2 1/2 inch tall man with his yo-yo. The other 2 1/2 inch men worship him as a god. Kid is only 8 years old.
- Guy uses art therapy. Finds out he's pathologically afraid of COWS